On North Carolina's
Where Jon Stands The General Assembly must enact policies that will promote job creation and strengthen our economy. To do this, we must keep taxes low and prevent government over-regulation. Jon will work to create job opportunities for all of North Carolina.
Jon will ensure that our tax rates remain comparative with other states. He will continue to update and streamline regulations that will boost our economy and increase job training in high schools, community colleges and universities.
Jon’s Economic Accomplishments
- Reformed and simplified North Carolina’s tax code
- Reduced regulations on the private sector
- Promoted job-specific education in colleges and universities
- Enhanced our workforce by supporting K-12 public education
- Worked to strengthen our transportation system to facilitate commerce
Where Jon Stands It is important for state government to operate efficiently and cost-effectively. This includes being responsible with tax dollars, balancing the budget, and keeping our debt low. We must invest wisely in the core services of government.
Jon will continue to focus on balancing the budget and allocating tax dollars wisely to fund core services. He will make sure our state has a healthy reserve account in care of emergencies, keep our debt low and our credit rating strong.
Jon’s Efficiency Accomplishments
- Kept spending levels in-line with growth in inflation and population
- Increased spending on core services while balancing our budget
- Placed over $2 billion in our State Savings for emergency purposes
- Maintained a AAA credit rating to lowering our borrowing costs
- Paid down over $2.5 billion in debt to the federal government
Where Jon Stands We need a strong education system in order to create a workforce that is ready for success. Education must be supported at all levels and operated efficiently. Not only do we have a moral obligation to educate our State’s children, it is also necessary to ensure that North Carolina can remain competitive with modern economies.
Jon will establish rigorous education standards but refrain from over-testing students. He will empower teachers with more freedom in their classrooms and utilize advances in technology to promote learning. Jon will also partner with businesses to promote job specific-education.
Jon’s Education Accomplishments
- Increased education funding by over $2.5 billion
- Increased teacher pay six years in a row (averaging over 16% in raises)
- Voted to reduce testing and to streamline assessments for education
- Worked to create public-private apprenticeship programs
- Kept UNC system tuition affordable and accessible
Where Jon Stands We must promote more access to health care and work to lower costs. Government must provide a safety net, but the real focus must be on creating a marketplace that provides quality, affordable options for our citizens.
Jon has worked to enhance funding for mental health treatment and to address the opioid epidemic. He will continue working to address health care concerns while encouraging the federal government to reduce regulations that drive up costs.
Jon’s Healthcare Accomplishments
- Transformed Medicaid into a more efficient, "Managed Care" model
- Established Association Health Plans to increase access to coverage
- Worked to promote scope of practice for health care professionals
- Advocated block grants for mental health / substance abuse centers
- Enacted the STOP ACT to reduce opioid addiction
- Empowered law enforcement to reduce drug trafficking
Where Jon Stands We must have a solid transportation system to facilitate commerce and increase quality of life. Businesses often consider the quality of our roads and bridges before they choose a location. We also must make sure our roads are well kept and safe for travel.
Jon will continue to ensure our gas tax revenue is allocated to transportation projects. He will work with DOT to make sure our roadway projects are safe, sufficient and sustainable.
Jon’s Transportation Accomplishments
- Required transportation funds to actually be spent on transportation
- Mandated transportation projects to be driven by data, not politics
- Modernized DMV operations and allowed licenses to be renewed online
- Provided DOT with funds to maintain infrastructure and plan for the future
Where Jon Stands It is important for us to work on keeping communities safe across North Carolina. We must support law enforcement, protect victims of crime and provide a justice system that operates efficiently.
Jon believes it is important to continue working to make our communities as safe as possible.
Jon's Public Safety Accomplishments
- Increased pay for law enforcement and other public safety officials
- Allocated millions of dollars for crime labs and forensic testing
- Provided tens of millions of dollars for school safety initiatives
- Extended additional rights to individuals who are victims of crime
- Supported the 2nd Chance Act to reduce recidivism
Where Jon Stands We have a moral responsibility to protect our environment for current and future generations. There are things that we can and should do to keep our water safe to drink, keep our air clean and enhance the integrity of our natural resources.
Jon believes it is possible to strike a balance between protecting our environment and preventing over-regulation of the private sector. He supports a “Real Green Deal” for our citizens.
Jon’s Environmental Accomplishments
- Worked on legislation to keep toxins out of our water resources
- Supported the preservation and expansion of State Parks
- Advocated for fuel-efficient state vehicles and recycling in state facilities
- Advocated for EV charging stations on state property
- Collaborated with private companies to enhance renewable energy